“Whatever you make, I can make vegan”. I love making past favourites vegan, knowing that I can still treat myself with the foods I used to love, but without the products that cause suffering makes me so happy. This weekend I’ve spent some of my time recreating an old classic t. This dessert was one of my favourites that my both my Grandma and Mum would make for special occasions. Its one of those recipes that I actually used to miss from before going vegan. Now that I’ve got my own cruelty free version and healthier version I wouldn’t ever look back and miss those days.
Your traditional Tiramisu is loaded with nasties that you really shouldn’t be putting into your body. Its packed with saturated fats, refined sugars and cholesterol which is definitely not good for your insides or health. This version replaces the dairy products with nuts and the sugar with unrefined sugars. This recipe is healthier but its still a treat, so you should still try to eat it in moderation! Thats if you can help yourself!
2 cups pecans
12 medjool dates
1 tsp espresso coffee powder
2 Tbl coconut oil melted
2 Tbl water
Filling: Vegan Mascarpone:
200g vegan mascarpone Using Mad Millie’s Vegan Cheese kit
4 medjool dates (this kit is my saviour)
2 Tbl coconut oil 1 cup raw cashews (soaked)
3 Tbl Date syrup (or maple syrup etc). 1/2 cup water
1 Tbl cacao butter (adds a liquor taste) 1/2 tsp cheese salt
2 Tbl carob powder or cacao powder (the carob adds a malty flavour)
2 Tbl espresso coffee powder (or to taste)
1 can (320g) coconut condensed milk
3/4 cup cashews (soaked for at least 4 hours)
2 Tbl Maple syrup
1/4 cup almond milk
1 Tbl coconut oil
- In a good quality blender or food processor blend up the base ingredients until its a sticky consistency. Pour this into a baking dish and press down until its even across the bottom of the dish.
- Using the same blender/processor blend up all ingredients until it is thick and creamy. Pour it over the base and put in the freezer until set.
- Once your base and filling layers have set you can start making your cream layer.
- To make the cream simply blend up all the ingredients until smooth and creamy, spread over the other layers.. You can set this in the freezer or have it like it is.
- I sifted some cacao powder over mine and also added some cacao nibs as a extra topping too.
- Slice up and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! It even got my Fathers approval, well a “it’s alright,” which I’m pretty stoked about because its hard enough to get him try anything vegan.
Please feel free to tag me @natashaaclark on Instagram if you recreate this, I always love to see your creations ❤️